For almost two decades I’ve been frustrated with the scriptures. Not with the message, but the physical book. The margins were too small to make notes. The footnotes took up an inordinate amount of space, yet most were of little value and many key links were missing. Section and chapter headers contained precepts of men that contradicted what was written. The uninspired chapter divisions and versification broke up key ideas and changed the natural flow. I dreamed of creating my own edition of the scriptures that fixed all those issues, but how could one person go about such a monumental task? I jotted down some notes from time to time but never thought it would happen.
A few years ago I stumbled upon a website of someone who had experimented with reformatting the scriptures. In addition to posting some drafts of his work, he also posted raw text files of all the standard works. I realized that my impossible dream of reformatted scriptures was not impossible, just really time consuming! I downloaded the files and went to work.
Until recently, printing was expensive so white space was considered a waste. Look at your current scriptures and notice how little white space there is on the page. While that style minimizes the number of pages you have to print, it makes it difficult on the reader, and almost impossible to make significant notes.
This reformatted version has wide margins for notes. Chapter and verse numbers are visually suppressed so they fade into the background while reading, but are still available to help find specific references. The text is placed into into standard paragraphs, and bullet points and poetic formatting are used when that can help convey the message better. When another scripture is quoted, the quotation has a grey background and the cross reference in the margin.
Both the original manuscript and the printers manuscript of the Book of Mormon had no punctuation. The entire manuscript was one run-on sentence. John Gilbert, the typesetter at the Grandin printing shop, added every period, comma, and capital letter. So as I was reformatting the Book of Mormon, I would sometimes change the punctuation, either to modernize it or help with the new paragraphs I was creating. But the actual scriptural words in the main body match 100% to the 1981 version. I did add some section headers to help identify key topics, but those are in a different font and easily identifiable as an addition of man.
Once I had my first draft completed, I started on the Doctrine and Covenants. Restoring the Lectures on Faith to their proper place was the first thing I did. After adding the D&C and Pearl of Great Price, I also added Joseph Smith’s three other accounts of his history, the complete letter from Liberty Jail from which Sections 120, 121, and 122 were extracted, and a list of the scriptures the angel expounded to Joseph in 1823.
I had these first versions printed and then began editing on paper. That was a humbling experience. I’ve spent the last two years refining them. I learned a lot about selecting fonts, typesetting, and page setting concepts. More importantly, I spent a lot of time just scrutinizing the scriptures. I would print a version, then use it for study for several months and make updates to the electronic version, and then repeat the process with a new printing.
While doing that, I learned about Royal Skousen’s work on BYU’s Book of Mormon Critical Text Project. This effort analyzed every version of the Book of Mormon (the remnants of the original manuscript, printers manuscript, 1830 printing, and every other LDS and RLDS printing of the book). This effort uncovered words that had changed from the original. Most were fairly innocuous (rites vs. rights, clasped vs. clapped, etc.) but some are more significant. I decided to fold some of those in to show both before and after so that I could contemplate the changes. These changes are indicated in the margins, so again, the 1981 text remains unchanged in the main body.
I had also known about the changes between the 1833 Book of Commandments and the 1835 Doctrine and Covenants. I combined the 1833 and 1835 versions so I could see exactly what changed and contemplate the significance. I also learned that there were other records in History of the Church (including unpublished revelations) that help fill in some historical gaps. I added some of those in the appropriate chronological spots between the existing D&C sections. The Joseph Smith Papers project has also provided valuable information, including changes that have been made to the text of the Doctrine and Covenants. I added margin notes to indicate where the current text differs from the original manuscripts.
My intention was solely to create a personal set of scriptures. I never planned to publish, even after having a few friends ask for copies once they saw my set. Eventually I was convinced to go public.
I have posted PDF versions that can be freely downloaded. I have also made arrangements with a printing company so you can order printed versions at cost plus shipping.
Go here to download the latest files and for links to the printed versions.